Thursday, June 18, 2009

Introduction

Hi!

My name is Britt. I'm a 41 year old mother of two small boys, part-time software program manager, and a lap band patient. I had my lap band placed in 2006 and had two great years. Then I started gaining weight and found out I had a dilated pouch and probably a small slip. I consulted with three doctors and all agreed the band ought to come out and I should consider revising to a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I have Federal BCBS, known to cover VSGs, but my local BCBS office disagreed. They say the lap band complications aren't life threatening, it can't come out because I'm not morbidly obese any more and that VSG is investigational (try telling all the other BCBS offices around the country that - they know that Fed BCBS has been covering VSG since 2008).

So what am I going to do? I'm going to fight on appeal. Am I going to win? Well, probably not. But I'm going to try. And then it occurred to me today that the appeal I wrote might help other people too. How do I know? Because someone else helped me. Teresa of thediaryofafatwoman blog here on blogspot. Almost all of the material I submitted in my fight against the investigational claim came from her. And it was great! I just reorginizaed it a little. My main letter covers everything else - why removing my lap band is important, why it's not right to deny VSG when every other Federal BCBS person that requests it gets it, and how my current BMI shouldn't play in to fixing a procedure I qualified for that was covered.

I haven't submitted it yet. Do you enjoy offering advice? I'd sure love to have you read what I wrote and let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Britt

3 comments:

  1. hi britt, did you have any luck here? I am going through the same thing
    diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi did briitu what happen did u get approved soon I will have to go through the same thing pleaded email me and let me know brown219006@gmail.com thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't thank you enough for sharing this! I am in a very similar situation and will be starting the fight with my insurance company this week. The work you have done and shared here is priceless and I am so grateful to have this as a template. I know this is an older post, but just in case you are still checking in, I wanted to offer a wholehearted THANK YOU and GOOD LUCK. Hope you are at goal and feeling great!!!

    ReplyDelete